Cosyne 2015 Call for Workshop Proposals
Cosyne 2015 Workshops will be held on March 9-10, 2015 in Snowbird Ski Resort, Snowbird, Utah.
PROPOSAL DEADLINE: November 21, 2014.
PRE-PROPOSALS: In an effort to coordinate submissions, the organizers are encouraged to submit a pre-proposal by October 31, 2014. Pre-proposals will be shared among submitters. Pre-proposals are requested but not required. The organizers may submit the full proposal by its deadline.
A series of workshops will be held after the main Cosyne meeting. The goal is to provide an informal forum for the discussion of important research questions and challenges. Controversial issues, open problems, comparisons of competing approaches, and alternative viewpoints are encouraged.
The overarching goal of all workshops should be the integration of empirical and theoretical approaches, in an environment that fosters collegial discussion and debate. Preference will be given to proposals that differ substantially in content, scope, and/or approach from workshops of recent years (examples available below).
Relevant topics include, but are not limited to: sensory processing; motor planning and control; functional neural circuits; motivation, reward and decision making; learning and memory; adaptation and plasticity; neural coding; neural circuitry and network models; and methods in computational or systems neuroscience.
Please note that in an effort to enhance the distinctions between workshops, speakers will be asked to commit to only 1-2 workshops. If need be, workshop chairs will work with overcommitted speakers prior to final workshop acceptances to reduce overlap.
- There will be 4-8 workshops/day, running in parallel.
- Each workshop is expected to draw between 15 and 80 people.
- The workshops will be split into morning (8:00-11:00 AM) and afternoon (4:30-7:30 PM) sessions.
- Workshops will be held at Snowbird, a ski resort located 30 miles (typically less than an hour) from the Salt Lake City airport. Buses from the main conference will be provided.
Deadline for pre-proposals: October 31, 2014
Deadline for proposals: November 21, 2014
Format: plain text only -- please no attachments, email to: cosyne15workshops [at] googlegroups.com (Claudia Clopath, Robert Froemke)
PRE-PROPOSALS should include:
- Name(s) and email address(es) of the organizers (no more than 2 organizers per session, please). A primary contact should be designated.
- A title.
- A brief description of 1) what the workshop will address and accomplish, 2) why the topic is of interest, 3) who is the targeted group of participants.
- Names of potential invitees, with indication of confirmed speakers. Preference will be given to workshops with the largest fraction of confirmed speakers.
- Proposed workshop length (1 or 2 days). Most workshops will be limited to a single day. If you think your workshop needs 2 days, please explain why.
- A brief resume of the workshop organizer along with a short list of workshop-relevant publications (about half a page total).
PROPOSALS should include the list of confirmed speakers in addition to components required for a pre-proposal.
Workshop organizer responsibilities include coordinating workshop participation and content, scheduling all speakers and submitting a final schedule for the workshop program, and moderating the discussion. Organizers can be speakers but need not speak depending on scheduling constraints.
SUGGESTIONS: Experience has shown that the best discussions during a workshop are those that arise spontaneously. A good way to foster these is to have short talks and long question periods (e.g. 30+15 minutes), and have plenty of breaks. We recommend fewer than 10 talks.
Detailed registration costs, etc, will be available here.
Please note: Cosyne does NOT provide travel funding for workshop speakers. All workshop speakers are expected to pay for workshop registration fees. Participants are encouraged to register early, in order to qualify for discounted registration rates. One complementary (free) organizer registration is provided per workshop. For workshops with 2 organizers, the free registration can be given to one of the organizers or split evenly between them.
COSYNE 2015 WORKSHOP CHAIRS:
Claudia Clopath (Imperial College London) and Robert Froemke (New York University)
cosyne15workshops [at] googlegroups.com
WORKSHOPS FROM PREVIOUS YEARS: